Want to have an engaging talk about technology business? Read up on the following hot trends and then learn what’s happening in each area, and you will know enough to sound more informed than most.
- Internet of Things (IoT) and Machine to Machine (M2M). They are related but not synonymous. Wearables also fall in the same category. A few verticals that you should watch out in the space are: automobile, home, and health/quantified self.
- New UI paradigms: Natural language processing in context of speak recognition and motion sensing.
- Virtual Reality (VR)
- Augmented Reality (AR) (though AR and VR have Reality in common, they are quite different)
- Internet TV
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Big Data / Data Science. Again, they are related but different concepts.
- DIY (Do it Yourself) Manufacturing and 3D printing. 3D printing is just one but popular way for DIY manufacturing.
- Self driving cars
- Sharing Economy (Uber and Airbnb are prime examples)
- Mobile Payments and Bitcoin. Mobile Payments is a much broader concept and Bitcoin isn’t just mobile. But both have a potential to disrupt payments and financial services the way we know them.
- Robotes and Drones
- Software Defined Networking
- Cloud OS and Services
- Social, Location and Mobile (SoLoMo)
A few disclaimers about the list above:
- It is by no means exhaustive and I intentionally left out several trends that I did not either know very well about or I thought they were not interesting enough for me to list here. A few obvious emissions include clean tech, battery technology, etc.
- It is heavily influenced by my personal interest and knowledge areas (software and applications take precedence over hardware and system level software for example).
- Many items are not mutually exclusive, but if I list them separately, it is because I think they are worthy of a separate mention.
- Not all these trends are at the same level of abstraction. Internet of Things for example is a much broader concept than Mobile Payments.
I’d love to hear about more hot areas that you think must make the list.